Kickoff Meeting TCBNC at IEEE Globecom 2015, San Diego, USA
- Date and Time: Sunday December 6 – 17:00 – 19:00 (just before welcome reception)
- Venue: Omni San Diego Hotel
- Room: Ballroom E
- Welcome and Introduction
- Roll Call
- Administrative matters
- Report on website maintenance (discussions, ideas, information to be added)
- Announcement on appointed positions (founding members and officers)
- Mailing list and subscription to TC
- Brief overview on policy and procedures
- Reports on Workshops Organized by TCBNC (Jun – Dec 2015)
- IEEE ICC BackNets 2015, London by Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir
- IEEE Globecom Mm-wave 2015, San Diego by Ali Sadri
- Report on IEEE Wireless Communs. SI on “Smart Backhauling and fronthauling for 5G Systems.”
- Discussions on Backhaul resources:
- Consolidation of reading list (for TCBNC website and ComSoc reading list)
- Backhaul blog (online space)
- Newsletter (events, announcements, nominations etc.)
- Publications – white papers by groups
- Future events
- IEEE ICC BackNets 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 2016. Extended deadline: December 18, 2015.
- Overview on standard activities
- IEEE ICC and Globecom participation
- Next TCBNC meeting
- Any other business
Minutes of Meeting:
Meeting was called to order by Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir. Followed by formal welcome note, meeting was started and agenda of the meeting was presented to the particpants.
Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir, Ali Sadri, Jinsong Wu, Mehmet Ulema, Song Guo, Jei Li, Liu Yang, Shui Yu, Hesham El-Bakoury, Pascal Lorenz, Jyri Putkonen, Christos Verikoukis.
- Update on administration matters. Website of TCBNC launched, 25 members were subscribed to the TC mailing list till Dec 6, 2015.
- It was also discussed that TC will be following Policy and Procedures as approved by ComSoc.
Reports on Events:
Members of TCBNC organized following two workshops with IEEE ICC 2015 and IEEE GLOBECOM 2015.
IEEE ICC BackNets 2015: Workshop has been successfully organized in London, UK on Jun 2015.
- Papers submitted: 40; Papers accepted 14 (35% acceptance rate)
- Workshop was technically sponsored by NEC, Intel, Nokia, and Samsung.
- Keynote speeches were delivered by Prof Mohamed Slim Alouini from KAUST, Prof Ekram Hossain from Manitoba University and Ben Howard from Samsung.
- A panel was organized by Dr. Ali Sadri from Intel and panelists from NEC, Ericsson, University of Durham, and Tokyo institute of Technology presented their views.
- A best paper award was presented at the end of workshop to the following paper. Ehsan Karamad, Raviraj S. Adve, Yves Lostanlen, Florian Letourneux, Sylvain Guivarch: Optimizing placements of backhaul hubs and orientations of antennas in small cell networks. ICC Workshops2015: 68-73
2015 IEEE GLOBECOM Workshop on Millimeter-Wave Backhaul and Access: From Propagation to Prototyping (mmWave 2015) in conjunction with IEEE GLOBECOM 2015 (San Diego, California, USA), December 6, 2015. See Workshop program here
Special Issue IEEE WCM organized by TC:
- Special Issue on Smart Backhauling and Fronthauling for 5G systems- has been organized and published in Oct 2015.
- The SI has been considered as amongst the first few efforts that present a collection of an excellent articles on backhauling and fronthauling for 5G systems.
- A total of more than 37 articles have been submitted to the SI and out of them 14 papers have been accepted and published in the SI after a very careful review cycle.
Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir presented some of the planned future events.
- IEEE ICC Next Generation Backhaul/fronthaul Networks: BackNets 2016 will be organized in Kula Lumpur, Malaysia, May 2016. Paper submission is still open.
- Tutorial T-9: Backhaul/Fronthaul Technologies for Heterogeneous Small Cell NetworksPresenters: Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir (Carleton University, Canada) and Mohamed-Slim Alouini (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia)Time: 14:00 – 17:30 PM
Location: IEEE ICC 2016, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Participants discussed about TC blog or TC News Letter to educate about the R&D activities in backhaul/fronthaul communications and networking related areas. It was also discussed that the News Letter or Blog will be used to publish the R&D in form of informal short papers to attract and update the interest of the TC community. Publicity of the other events such as relevant conferences, workshops, SI will be posted on TCBNC website under conference/workshop section and news section.
- Participants briefly discussed to align the “Best Reading” practices of TCBNC with ComSoc. More discussion on this process should be discussed in future meeting.
- Mehmet Ulema (Director Standards Development) presented updates on IEEE ComSoc perspectives on standardization perspectives on backhaul/fronthaul. He updated the participants about new IEEE ComSoc standard that may be approved in coming few weeks. The proposed project may be called as NGFI – Next generation fronthaul interface, and it may be named as as IEEE 1914.
- Ali Sadri presented standard activities and developments updates on WiGig and mm-wave from Intel’s perspectives. There was discussion about the convergence of the WiGig and mmwave for backhaul and fronthaul under different scenarios and use cases.
IEEE ICC and Globecom participation:
- TCBNC has nominated Muhammad Ali Imran from University of Surrey, UK for co-Chair Wireless Communications Symposium, IEEE Globecom 2017 to represent technical interest of the TC.
Next TCBNC meeting:
- IEEE ICC 2016, Kuala Lumpur, May 2016.
Any other business: None
Meeting adjourned at 18:45.